Friday, June 12, 2009

Query Five: Life and Accomplishments

Life and Accomplishments

As I graduate highschool, everyone asks "Are you thinking about the future?" and always I respond "Yes, of course." In reality, I'm always thinking about the future, which is what brought this topic on, Life and Accomplishments. Graduation is the time when students get realistic about their future, they wonder if they will try and be a famous singer, chemist, hair salon owner, or movie star. Some expectations are too low, others can be unrealistic. The overarching fact remains, you can't accomplish everything.

The phrase "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" is relevant here because I realized, I'm not going to accomplish everything there is, I won't experience everything there is to experience. Some overworking multitaskers can accomplish a lot but they can't accomplish everything. Nobody has won every single award in an award show, and no one ever will. To bring the topic back down to earth and out of the lofty clouds where my mind normally is (Daydreaming/Zoning out thinking). The deal is this I'm comfortable with pursueing what I am passionate about, such as Psychology and Literature, but I also know if I try to master both fields, accrediations and all that, I won't be able to say, act on stage, or sing in an opera, or even become a curator. It's not that I want to accomplish all of those things, its just the fact that I myself won't be able to feel that walk of life.

If we break this idea down into sensory experiences, it becomes a whole lot simpler. As humans, we will never feel the way a bird does during flight, or the jolt of energy that springs through a dog as he sees a squirrel. We can feel like a flying bird if we hang glide, but we will never feel the same feeling it feels. The fact of the matter is, we won't ever be able to experience or accomplish everything in life, and the truth is, we don't need to. This article isn't to say, "Lower your expectations." It's just to say, follow what you are truly passionate about, master it, and enjoy it for your life. Someone who is a Jack of All Trades, Master of None, can never enjoy a painting the way Degas did, or enjoy the intricacies of a chemical formula the way a chemist may. Set your sights high, but make sure you follow it to the end or you just may end up regretting it.

Then there comes the people who set their sights too low. If you decide to have a simple farm life, own a farm, manage it, that is fine if its truly what you want out of life. If you decide to own a hair salon, because you don't think college is "for you" or your undecided about the future, you have made a mistake. Years will pass by, and here is where the problem is, you'll get bored of it. You'll feel like your life is going absolutely nowhere and you will become miserable inside, and by then you will feel like it's too late. If you truly have a knack for hair styling, go to become a proffessional hair stylist, open up more than one store if the first one shoots off, take your trade and master it.

Enjoy life, and be passionate.

Exeunt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.